I’m not sure if it’s the change of season, a little book I read this past summer called The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up (check it out here), or simply my inner “to-do list”-loving self, but lately I’ve been thinking a lot about cleaning out and re-organizing my home. Like many people, I feel like the list of things to do to properly maintain our house is never-ending. There are countless jobs that have been waiting to be done for weeks or months but we just never seem to have the time to get to them. My husband assures me that these jobs aren’t going anywhere and I shouldn’t stress about them (and I really am trying hard not to) but sometimes a good overhaul and a little reorganization can feel incredibly satisfying. So over the next few weeks (or months), as the days get colder outside, here’s what I plan on doing inside, to make my home a little more tidy, clutter-free, and organized. Check out more organization inspiration below!
- Empty water from hose and store for the winter.
- Gather yard décor items, and store in garage/shed for the winter.
- Rake leaves and fill Pumpkin bags 🙂
- Check Christmas lights and replace as needed.
- Store small recycling box from patio in garage for winter (don’t worry, we still recycle in the winter, we just have a bigger, more efficient can to use that doesn’t get buried in snow!)
- Store outdoor furniture in garage for winter
- Toss dead plants
- Sort through clothes in closest and drawers – discard worn-out items, prepare bag for women’s shelter, re-fold or hang other items
- Sort through, re-organize, dust, and tidy shelves in closet
- Sort through book shelf and move books onto proper shelves (I totally need more bookshelves in my house!)
- Sort through accessories – discard or giveaway items I don’t wear and re-organize remaining items – develop system for displaying frequently worn accessories.
- Nail polish collection – develop a better system for storing nail polishes (they’re over-taking the top of my dresser currently!)
- Under sink – discard old or unused items, wash cupboards, and reorganize remaining items
- Medicine cabinet – discard old and unused items, safely discard expired medications, reorganize remaining items, wash down shelves
- Spice cupboard – discard old and unused spices, reorganize and wash down shelves
- Baking cupboard – discard expired or unused items, reorganize and wash cupboard
- Dishes – prepare box of unused items to give away, reorganize remaining dishes and kitchen gadgets, wipe down and clean shelves
- Cutlery drawers – sort out, giveaway or discard unused items, wipe out drawers
- Create better system for storing waxed papers, tin foil, etc.
- Display cookbooks on counter for more regular use
- Remove gadgets that we don’t use often from counters and store away
- Clean out and re-organize the “junk” drawer
- Food cupboards – toss expired or old items, prepare box of items for food back, reorganize and straighten remaining items, wipe down shelves
- Sort through items under sink – toss old items, reorganize and clean shelves
- Develop a system to store cleaning products under kitchen sink
- Develop an efficient, organized system for mail and other documents
- Clean off magnetic board and store items in proper locations
- Re-organize bookshelf and move books to proper location in house -discard old papers, books we no longer need.
- Re-organize items in front hallway closet for better storage
- Develop system to make hats, mittens, scarves, etc. easily accessible.
- Develop a better system for shoe storage (we have very limited space!) at the front door.
- Create space for working out (Treadmill, weights, yoga mat, television, water jug)
- Re-organize storage bins in storage space under stairs
- Move summer items to garage or shed for storage
- Bring Halloween, Christmas, and winter supplies in from garage and shed and store in basement.
- Re-organize DVD and bookshelf – discard or giveaway old, unused items
- Wash inside of washing machine
- Discard or giveaway old, unused items on storage shelves – reorganize remaining items and wipe down shelves
- Develop system for random items found in laundry (sole socks, coins, toys, etc.)
- Complete the wedding photo book that I’ve been working on online for since our wedding two years ago!
- Print pictures and fill frames (that we received as wedding gifts!)
- Change seasonal decorations
And finally…. sit back, relax, and enjoy a highly organized, tidy house!